Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bricks and Trees

I've always admired both, but for very different reasons. Trees are organic, imperfect, ever growing, and symbolically deep rooted. They can live independently or in groves, and they can be cultivated to provide shade, food, and supplies. Bricks are hand built to specific dimensions. They are laid in a certain designed manner and if done so correctly they withstand, endure and fortify.

Trees alone are pretty, but I am not one to fantasize about living in a tree house. Big cities excite me, but I would not prefer to see shades of grey surrounding my world. What I love most about where I live is that there is an evident existence of both trees and bricks. Nature and society. Organic and Inorganic. I see examples of buildings and trees which have endured and withstood tests of time. Houses have been standing for hundreds of years, and the trees that shade the sidewalks have stood to see generations of people moving in and out. Making changes, learning, growing, loving.

In the back of my mind I have been somewhat cognizant of these thoughts, but as I take more and more walks and spend less and less time in the car, I am becoming more mindful and appreciative.



**i love monkeying around with phone photos, playing with different effects, increasing saturation, cropping, decreasing sharpness, etc. but I resisted the urge with these. All of these photos are straight from my phone, as I saw them on my walk this morning. (But that's not to say I won't still play with them and put some up on Instagram later)























No comments:

Post a Comment