Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bumps in the road...

I have become a regular at my neighborhood Rite Aid.
The past couple weeks have not been the easiest for the two of us. I was recently diagnosed with Epilepsy after a scary Grande Mal seizure that I had after school. I don't know what was scarier, me waking up confused in the hospital or Lucas listening to a voice mail vaguely mentioning his wife was in the ER. Luckily the staff couldn't have been more comforting or kind, and the worst of my injuries was a nasty chunk I bit out of my tongue.
Since then, life has been considerably different. I have lost my license, and I am adjusting to being dependent on amazing in laws, parents, and Lucas. I also am unable to drink any alcohol due to my medication. I have never been a huge drinker, but at times like this when all I want is a big glass of wine, it is frustrating to abstain. I am also dealing with changes in regards to work.I decided to take the rest of the month off of teaching Yoga (not something I was happy to do), and I have been relying on my fellow teachers to cover a few of my yard duties at school due to my various Dr's appointments. This may not sound like a big deal, but asking for help and stepping away from my responsibilities is not something that is easy for me. 
However, through these changes I have come to even more so realize and appreciate how fortunate I really am. I cannot count the text messages, emails, and calls that have come in from concerned friends and family. (not to mention flowers, chocolate, and delicious dinners) I feel blessed to have such good people in our lives. 
As far as our plan (I do love having a plan), the tests are hopefully over, we just wait for results, and then trust the Dr (whom I love!!!) to choose the best form of medication for me. I am sure that soon enough this will just be a drop in the bucket, or a bump in the road. That is how Lucas tells me to think of this... We have a long happy road to travel together, and we have hit a little bump. Actually to be literal, the bumps and bruises are already starting to fade and heal which is the fortunate proof that life goes on. We continue to move forward.
Not looking my best during the 24hour EEG/EKG


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about your blog and so impressed with your photos! Way to jump in with both feet with your camera. You two are awesome! We missed you this week and Now that we're back we are ready to take care if you any way we can. If we don't get called to drive you around town, we'll feel utterly useless. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! I wish I was there to help out, or just sit with you. Keep up the positive attitude! maybe we can get you a cool helmet like natalie portman has to wear in garden state? :) miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete