Saturday, November 9, 2013

Day 9: Courage to Try

I have wanted to take ballet classes for years. I always thought I was too clumsy, too uncoordinated, too old, too poor, too fat, too whatever... I made up all sorts of excuses as to why I had never actually taken a class. I started to wrap my mind around the idea that maybe one day I could take a class just for fun. I got my hands on some tutus (actually I asked my awesome mom to make me one) and I wore it for a photoshoot with friends. I freaking loved every moment of wearing that tutu. I felt silly, and feminine, and beautiful, and I loved it. ...but I still knew deep down that I was playing dress up. I had never taken a class and at that time I was still too scared- scared of doing something I had never done before, scared of trying something new, scared of being uncomfortable. I am now so proud and pleased to say that I have finally begun taking adult ballet classes. Much to my relief I learned that I am not "too anything". I am just right for being what I am, and that is a beginner at something. And it is uncomfortable, and sometimes hard. I am new, and I do make mistakes.  But I am learning, and I am having fun. So far, there is no tutu involved, there will probably never be a tutu involved, but I still love it and it makes me appreciate more than anything, that the only thing holding me back before was me. I am so grateful to have learned this lesson and to have the courage to try something new. 
Me playing dress up: 
 
Headed out to class:Not nearly as dramatic, but so much more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment