Monday, July 23, 2012

Happy Housewife Back in Action.

After a crazy busy 7 days (pics and post coming soon), Luke and I am looking forward to a quieter week. I did some grocery shopping after teaching a morning class and was in the mood to make lunch for Luke. So I whipped up a spinach salad with red bell peppers, cucumber, avocado, and purple onions. I got chicken to put on his, and I made a really yummy garlicky, lemon, dill, and Greek yogurt dressing. I didn't use a recipe, I just tried to use flavors that we like and produce that looked good. (except the avo was a little under ripe-
But I am learning)

It was pretty tasty, and it was fun to spend some time alone in the kitchen. As a kid I loved to cook. I used to make my dad lunch all the time. As I got older, I stopped enjoying cooking. It became more of a job, and especially when I was single I would get by with whatever was the quickest and easiest to make. Since I've never been a big meat eater, and I was vegan for awhile, I ate what I considered to be not "normal"-something I would make for someone else- meals. (avocado on toast for lunch, or a bowl of fiber one cereal with a banana for dinner). When Lucas and I started dating I was surprised and a little intimidated by how good he was in the kitchen. He could chop, dice, saute, bake, broil, you name it, and it always tasted amazing! So I spent less and less time in the kitchen, and as a result, I felt more and more uncomfortable making and serving meals. Since we have switched roles working wise (I was often the one working late, and he spent more time at home), I decided to step up to the plate and start cooking again. I am so happy to report that I am starting to love it again. Like anything, I'm finding that the more time I spend practicing, the more comfortable I become and the more confident I am to step out and make new things. ... And it's nice to have a partner who is appreciative and pretty willing to try anything! :)

So here's it is- not fancy, but yummy, and there's even some chicken on his. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment